Monday, December 2, 2013

Running and Winter = BFFs

Note: this is a dual post that also appears on my Winter Doesn't Have to Suck blog. I didn't start running until this summer, so this is my first winter as a runner. I was nervous about it but I have to say: winter running kinda rocks. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't care. Here's how running has made winter really not suck as badly:

1. Sweet Running Gear
Okay, so buying it hurt my wallet. A lot. But honestly, I like my gear - most of it from Under Armour and Target - and it gets me excited to go running. I love the colors and the fleeces and how warm they keep me. Yes, it's more of a hassle than in the summer when I can just fly out the door in shorts and a tank top. But my warm weather workout clothes aren't as fun and I'll actually be kind of sad when it's time to go back to them.

2. Cold Weather Running
Many people hate this. I thought I would. But I actually love it! I never dread going out into the cold if I'm going to be running, because I'm not gonna be cold. Not only do I not have to worry about overheating, but I can actually break a sweat being out in the cold! It's a great balance. And the reverse effect isn't possible during the summer: a run can't offset the hot weather by cooling me down as I run. So, I'm definitely going to enjoy this while it lasts.

3. Winter Races
My first big goal as a runner is the Wisconsin Half Marathon on May 3rd. Since I started running late this past summer, that means by training will really amp up in the dead of winter. Great, I thought, that's when all the 5Ks have stopped so how will I get some race practice in?

But the GLM Winter Race Series has my back. Six 5K & 10K races between October and March - it's perfect! I ran a 5K on November 24th and I'll run one on New Year's Eve (how cool is that?). Then I'll do 10Ks in February and March. I'm so grateful to have found out about this. Now I can get some races under my belt this winter! Not only is this critical to my training, but running races is one of the happiest things I do and these races give me something to look forward to this winter.

I am very thankful for the infusion of winter and running. Winter enhances my running and running makes it so winter doesn't have to suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment