Monday, March 24, 2014

Training Milestone Alert: 13 Miles!! I did it!

Well folks, I've done it. On a clear, sunny, but very cold Sunday morning, I did what felt for the longest time like only a distant possibility: I ran 13 miles.


So, I can do it after all!

I never thought I'd hit 13 miles this far ahead in my training. But I've really been in a groove with my half marathon training ever since I got back from El Salvador/being sick (one of the reasons I decided to skip out on a 15K race I had signed up for this weekend, a decision that clearly paid off!). For the past couple weeks I've been feeling great after my runs, and I rocked my 12-miler last weekend, so this weekend I just went for it. And now I know: I can do it. I can run 13 miles.

I can run a half-marathon!

So, what now? I have 5 weekends left before the big day, and this is what my long run schedule is looking like going forward:

March 29 or 30: 11 miles
April 5 or 6: 12 miles
April 12 or 13: 13.5 miles
April 19 or 20: 11 miles (whoo hoo taper time!)
April  26 or 27: 9 or maybe just 8 miles

So, now that I know I can run those 13 miles? Time to work on that pace! I haven't been thinking about time on my long runs, since the important thing is to take them easy and complete the miles. Even though most of my long runs will be shorter than 13 miles from now until May, I'm still not going to "race" through any of them, but I am going to keep working on my speedwork and tempo runs during the weeks. For the past couple months, I have typically done one speed intervals workout and one tempo run per week (I must confess, I use the word "tempo" lightly - whether I push the pace, and how much, usually just depends on how I'm feeling that day). I did my 6 mile run on Thursday at tempo pace and it went superbly well: 6.12 miles in 57:00, which is right on the heels of my 10K race times! I'm hoping that by really polishing up my speedwork and tempo runs for the next 5 weeks, I'll start getting myself ready to rock this half marathon!

Ideally, I would also like to start doing more strength training. I've been notoriously bad about this in my time as a runner. It's just hard to find the time to work it in when I'm already running 4 times a week. But I will try.

I must admit, folks, I'm REALLY getting excited! The weeks countdown is in single-digits, the weather is starting to get a little better, and I'm really starting to feel in the zone and see improvements in my training!

May 3rd, bring it on. I'm ready for you!

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Isn't it exciting?? The first time I ran half marathon distance I cried like a baby. It was one of the most emotional moments of my life. I didn't think I was capable of doing the distance and when I proved myself wrong it was like a weight had been lifted! Enjoy the rest of your training!!

    ReplyDelete