Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Half Marathon Training Schedule!

With the help of several friends and templates I found on Pinterest, I have finally compiled a skeleton of a training schedule for myself!

The best schedules I found had a good balance of running and other exercise like cardio, strength training, and yoga. It's a lot to take on for someone who is not used to frequent, regimented exercise, but I definitely wanted to include all of these in my training to stay well rounded. But I still wanted to make sure that running was the dominant player in my training, of course.

Also, most of the training schedules I found include different types of running: long runs, slow and steady runs, "tempo" runs, etc. I tried to incorporate as many of these into the schedule as I could.

In the end, there just aren't enough days in the week to cram in everything I'd like to do. I decided that some things I would do every week, and some I would have to alternate between weeks. I also tried to keep the schedule the same for each week.

  • Monday - Yoga OR easy run
  • Tuesday - Easy run OR yoga
  • Wednesday - Hills or tempo or sprint/walk running (alternate)
  • Thursday - Cardio/strength train OR REST
  • Friday - REST OR Cardio/strength train
  • Saturday - Long Run
  • Sunday - REST

So, a sample week might look like this:

  • Monday: Easy run, 3 miles
  • Tuesday: Yoga class
  • Wednesday: Tempo run, 3 miles
  • Thursday: Swimming
  • Friday: REST
  • Saturday: 6 miles
  • Sunday: REST

I am still hashing out the week-by-week schedule; obviously, with my half marathon nine months away, I've got some time. This is actually the big challenge I'm having with compiling a training plan: it's so far away still. No training plan I've come across has catered to a half marathon that's so far in the future. That's why my friend Kelsey's training plan was such a huge help to me: it schedules about 6 months out, which is much closer to the time frame I'm looking at. Most schedules I come across are 12-week plans. So what I've had to do is find a way to "stretch" them out to accommodate my longer training time. My plan is to do this by 1) repeating some weeks verbatim in the beginning of my training - instead of going from 3 to 3.5 miles on my runs, for example, I just stay at 3; and 2) shortening some of my weeks in the beginning, for example, cutting out the yoga class and the easy run from the example above.

Another idea I have is for the earlier weeks to have a heavier focus on the variety exercise like cardio and strength training, and then have these things gradually taper off (but not disappear) so I can focus more on the running.

So, here is what I still need to do:
  1. Come up with a final schedule
  2. Figure out what to do for strength training


Thanks so much to everyone who has helped and offered to help so far. It means a lot to me that so many people are supportive of my journey and willing to run it with me, even if only figuratively :-)

If anyone has suggestions for what I should modify about or add to my training plan, PLEASE let me know. I could use all the help I can get!

1 comment:

  1. I personally wouldn't worry too much about tempo/speed workouts at this point. You're going to naturally get faster in your first year of running just by running consistently and running more miles. Maybe add it in during the spring?
    On the other hand, some people get bored with running and want the variety of different work outs and paces. So if you think the different types of workouts will motivate you--than go for it!

    ReplyDelete