Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Running and Balance

As many of you know, in a couple weeks I am leaving on a 10-day trip to El Salvador with Habitat for Humanity, where myself and a team of other young professionals will be building homes for families in need.


Natrually, I can't help but worry about how this will affect my training. It's doubtful that I'll be able to do any running in El Salvador, since we will be on a tight schedule during the day and we're really not supposed to go anywhere alone for safety reasons. I mean, it's not like I'll be sitting on the beach drinking margaritas for 10 days (wouldn't that be nice!), we'll be very active, but the thought of getting "behind" does make me nervous - when I get back I will have just over two months until my first half marathon.

I know, I know, I shouldn't worry - I'm at a good place in my training, my long run is up to 10 miles, I will be fine for a half marathon in May even with the break. But, that's me: worry worry worry.

Every once in a while, we all encounter something that jolts us into stepping outside of ourselves for a moment and getting some perspective. This trip is an exciting, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I get to travel to another country. I get to go on an adventure. I get to bond with other young professionals. I get to escape to a warmer climate. And, most importantly, I get to help people in need.

So...what's the big deal that I'll miss a few runs?

A couple months ago, I read an article in Runner's World about the importance of tapering before big races, which emphasized that a big part of staying sane during the tapering process is keeping yourself busy with other hobbies, interests, friends, etc.

But what about when you're not tapering? As I'm learning now, balance is just as important during the times when you are training hard as it is when you are tapering.

When you love something, it's really hard not to get caught up in it. I did fall in love with running after I started it, and sometimes all I want to do is talk about running, and make running friends, and talk to them about running, and train, and train and train and train so I can get good. But love without balance turns into obsession. Running is a big part of me. It's one of the biggest, actually. But it's still not the only part of me, nor do I want it to be.

If all I cared about was running....what would happen to the friends in my life who aren't runners? I would alienate and then lose them. What about all those hours in the week when I'm not running? I would be bored and restless. Now, this is pretty extreme. I don't know any runners who are actually like this. But the problem is that my love of running and motivation to run present themselves more urgently and have a tendency to take over other things in my life.

Here are some of the other things that I love, that need room in my life:
  • Reading. This is my oldest passion and, unfortunately, the one that gets thrown on the back burner often. I belong to a book club and enjoy the opportunity to discuss books, so it's important to me that I make time to read so I can continue to cultivate this part of me and develop better connections with other bibliophiles
  • Spending quality time with loved ones.
  • Sleep. This one seems obvious, but in addition to needing sleep, I happen to really enjoy it. I actually sacrifice quite a bit because I insist on going to bed early enough to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night - even if I'm not tired.
  • Keeping a clean, tidy house. I suck at keeping up with housework. I value a clean, comfy living space very much, but for some reason, I can't seem to make this a priority.
  • Making friends and networking. This is important to me, and as an introverted homebody, I have to work 3x as hard as others to be successful at this. I belong to a couple of volunteer organizations, so it's important to make time for the events and meetings these organizations have so I can get to know people better.
  • Volunteering. I am on the marketing committee for a great local organization called Ex Fabula, and I also take advantage of several volunteer opportunities through another great organization I'm a member of called WGIRLS Milwaukee. These need time because I've committed to them, because it's crucial for me to serve my community, and because being involved further helps me with making friends and networking.
  • Writing and other projects, e.g., this blog!
  • Unstructured time to hang out, go somewhere, watch TV, whatever! It seems counter intuitive to schedule in unstructured time, but it is important. Some people try to squeeze productivity into every free minute of their day, but I don't believe in micromanaging my life that way. I need down time!
  • Having a healthy diet. It's really difficult with a busy schedule, but I try as often as possible to do some home cooking during the week so I have something healthful to eat and don't have to waste money on eating out.  And, obviously, this is necessary for a runner!

And yet, I still have it easier than many runners, who are balancing their running with having children and working full-time! Not having children affords me the luxury of pursuing a lot more commitments in my life...but that doesn't make it easy! This is the point where I am building a foundation for the type of person I want to become and what my life is going to be all about. I need to choose wisely.

So, how do I go about balancing all of these things in perfect harmony? What's the magic formula? There isn't one. Most people go their entire adult lives trying to figure out balance, and who knows how many of them are successful.

Juggling activities, commitments, and interests is just something I have to work on. But what I can do is remember this: having a life outside of running enhances my running. Doing other things that give me energy makes me feel fresh and recharged going into training or a race. I contribute to the diversity of the running community by being a unique runner with my own mission and reasons for running.

And, hopefully learning all of this NOW will help when I have to endure my first dreaded taper! Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment